Teaching will be practice based. Through a total of 24-hours, participants will learn to design and decorate the Iznik Plate. Guidance will be given on a one-to-one and a group basis. This course is limited to 8 seats and will be held on Wednesdays 18:00 -21:00. The starting date is 19 June 2019. Registration is Mandatory and beginners are welcome. (Age 16+)
Fees: £220 (Limited scholarship is available)
Geometric Tiles Short Course: Make & Design the Tiles Panel
18th June 2019 – 6th August 2019
Teaching will be practice based. Through a total of 24-hours, participants will learn to make and design a Tiles Panel. Guidance will be given on a one-to-one and a group basis. This course is limited to 8 seats and will be held on Tuesdays 18:00 -21:00. The starting date is 18 June 2019. Registration is Mandatory and beginners are welcome. (Age 16+)
Venue: The Islamic College
133 High Rd, Willesden, London NW10 2SW
Fee: £220 (Limited scholarship is available)
Please complete this form or contact the Short Course Department by email: email@example.com
- To give students a fundamental introduction to Islamic Tiles making
- To explore the role of geometry in Islamic Tiles.
- To teach students a traditional geometrical composition and apply it in ceramic Tiles.
- To provide an opportunity for participants to create their own ceramic tiles panel.
- H3, B2 pencils
- Brushes (No: 1,2)
- Tracing paper
- Watercolour paper
- Slide Show and talk on traditional tiles making from Islamic world Iran. Iraq. Pakistan, Syria, Turkey and Spain
- Analysing a Islamic Geometric pattern for tiles
The final two weeks will be practical sessions dedicated to you producing your exhibition pieces. Inspiration will be taken from traditional colours & patterns seen around the Islamic world. You will use the patterns and skills learnt on the course to enable you to trace, tile and transfer your designs to watercolour paper or other surfaces to be painted in watercolour, acrylics or gouache.
- Apply geometry design principles in a Ceramic context.
- Analysing a second Geometric pattern for tiles panel.
- Safely use of plaster and Clay.
- Practicing how to prepare the clay.
- Making moulds.
Transferring geometric design for tiles.
- Transfer the designs to watercolour paper to be painted in watercolour to learn of principles of colour harmony.
- Practicing and Understand basic methods of carving on clay and plaster.
- Understanding the different clays that used in tiles making and their functions.
- Preparing test for understanding shrink in clay.
– Explore various methods of using clay for tiles
– To learn how to make tiles by clay.
– Understanding the different types of making tiles.
Continue with the rest of making tiles.
- Introduction of traditional techniques for applying glaze.
- Ceramic glaze testing.
- Preparing tiles for first firing in kiln.
Finishing the glazing.
- Preparing tiles for second firing in kiln
Explore different methods of adhesives, assembling and finishing technique.