The syllabus is designed to develop both reading and writing skills. The reading element consists of:
• Core reading and reading for specific information
• Understanding titles and contents pages
• Vocabulary and grammatical development
• Identifying points of view and arguments
• Pronouncing letters and words correctly and conveying expression
The writing element of the module consists of:
• Formulating sentences and paragraphs
• Composing short essays
• Writing responses to texts
• Expressing personal opinions
• Reporting the ideas of others
Learning, Teaching and Assessment Strategy
Graded assessment is by portfolio and written examination. The portfolio will comprise of eight completed class exercises and homework tasks of no more than 350 words each. The written examination will take place at the end of the module.
Portfolio: 50 %
Written examination: 50 %
Abdur Rahim, V. (2000). Arabic Course for English-Speaking Students. Leicester: UK Islamic Academy.
Al-Fawzan, A. B. I. and Hussayn, M. B. Tahir. (2007). Al-Arabiya Bayn Yadayk. Riyad: Arabic for All.