Dr Shaykh Mohammed Ali Ismail, from Peterborough, UK, graduated in Law. He then went to Qum, Iran where he studied in the Hawza for ten years, specialising in Qur’an and Hadith Studies. While in Qum, he regularly taught on short courses and helped establish The World Federation Islamic Education Qum Office, which he also managed for three years. Having graduated from the Hawza in 2007, he went on to complete a Post Graduate Certificate in Education at the University of Portsmouth.
Dr Ismail then moved to Damascus, Syria, where for two years he taught and trained aspiring Ministers of Religion at the Islamic Institute for Post Graduate Studies. Having resettled in the UK in 2010, Dr Ismail joined the academic team at The Islamic College, London, and is currently Director of Research and Publications and a senior lecturer there.
Over the last two decades, Dr Ismail has regularly lectured and conducted courses in Islamic centres around the world. In 2020, he received his doctorate from Middlesex University. Among his publications is Islamic Laws, an annotated translation of the Tawdih al-Masa’il of Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali al-Sistani.
- Foundations of Arabic Grammar: A Parallel Arabic-English Textbook. (2017). London: ICAS Press. (Co-editor)
- Islamic Laws (an annotated translation of the Tawdih al-Masa’il of al-Sayyid Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani). Volume Two: Transactions. (2017). London: The World Federation
- ‘A Comparative Study of Islamic Feminist and Traditional Shi‘i Approaches to Qur’anic Exegesis’, in the Journal of Shi‘a Islamic Studies, vol. 9, no. 2 (Spring 2016). London: ICAS Press.
- Desire of the Aspirant: On the Etiquette of the Teacher and the Student. (2016). London: ICAS Press. (Co-editor)
- Islamic Laws (an annotated translation of the Tawdih al-Masa’il of al-Sayyid Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani). Volume One: Ritual Acts of Worship. (2015). London: The World Federation
- ‘The Spiritual Aspects of Hajj: A Translation of Imam Zayn al-‘Abidin’s (A) Discourse on Hajj with al-Shibli’, in the Journal of Shi‘a Islamic Studies, vol. 7, no. 3 (Summer 2014). London: ICAS Press.
- Caravan of the Sun: A play about the captives of Karbala (2014). London: MIU Press. (Editor)
- ‘Understanding the Qur’an in the Light of Nahj al-Balaghah’ in Humanity and Politics in the Nahj al-Balagha. (2013). Peterborough: Islamic Thought
- Faith and Reason (2006). London: The World Federation. (Co-translator)
- ‘The Meaning of the Word ‘Mawla’ in the Sermon of Ghadir’ in Ghadir in Different Nations. (2003). Qum: Dalil-i Ma
- ‘A critical examination of the extent of a wife’s obedience towards her husband in light of the rights of women in Islamic law.’ MA dissertation, 2015.
Click on each course for the course information.
|Module Code||Module Type||Module Title||Instructor||Program|
|ISD117||Designated||Qur’anic Sciences and Approaches to Exegesis||Mohammed Ali Ismail||BA Islamic Studies|
|HSC210||Core||Principles of Jurisprudence 1||Mohammed Ali Ismail||BA Hawza Studies|
|HSC211||Core||Hadith Studies||Mohammed Ali Ismail||BA Hawza Studies|
|HSC303||Core||Principles of Jurisprudence 2||Mohammed Ali Ismail||BA Hawza Studies|
|HSC312||Core||Demonstrative Jurisprudence 3||Mohammed Ali Ismail||BA Hawza Studies|
|ML401||Core||Sources of Islamic Knowledge||Mohammed Ali Ismail||MA Islamic Studies and MA Islamic Law|